Newly Passed Legislation from the 2012 Georgia General Assembly
Effective March 1, 2013, House Bill 386 removed the sales tax and the annual ad valorem tax on newly-purchased vehicles. It replaces these taxes with a new title fee of 6.5% in 2013 and 6.75% in 2014. Below is important information you need to know:
• Vehicles purchased on or after March 1, 2013, will pay the new title tax to the tag agent in the
county in which you register the vehicle. This fee will be paid at the time you apply for the title
• The new title tax is not due every year but is due each time the vehicle is sold and titled. This
applies to dealer sales as well as sales between individuals.
• The new title tax is based on a percentage (6.5% in 2013) of the fair market value which is
determined by the Georgia Department of Revenue, not the purchase price of the vehicle.
• You will continue to pay the annual ad valorem tax on vehicles that you currently own.
• If you purchase a vehicle between January 1, 2012 and March 1, 2013, you will have the option
of paying the new title tax or the annual ad valorem tax. You will have from March 1, 2013 until
December 31, 2013, to opt into the new program.
• All other annual vehicle registration requirements, including annual tag renewal fees and decals
will remain in effect for all vehicle owners.
****Active Duty military will not be exmept from the new "Title Ad VAlorem Tax"
Please see the below link to the Department of Motor Vehicles website for additional information.